Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Shop Notes"




Today I finished the templates for the new bulkhead. Actually had to make two templates (out of 3/8" plywood), one for each side of the boat. The big thing here is, getting both templates lined up and spaced just right on the sheet of 3/4" plywood being used for the bulkhead so that when it's cut out and fitted into the boat it will match up on both sides like it is supposed to. I'll cut the thru-way out later before the final installation.



So many things started now, I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. The floor is started but, not finished. The same is true for the fuel cell inclosure, the roof and it's beams, the seating, the dash and now the bulkhead. I haven't actually started the seating or the dash but, during the quality time spent sitting on my stool, staring intently at my work and of course... soaking up some quality beer, it came to my attention some time back that before I can finish the floor, I must have a plan for the seating and how it will attach to that floor. Before I finish the floor I must install the bulkhead. Before I can start the bulkhead I must remove the cabin's roof and replace the beams. Before I can finish the beams I must have the bulkhead cut and shaped and ready to install. Before I can... and so on ... and on... and on !
I'm sure that everything will come together in the end. I just don't want to get to a certian point and realize that I've MISSED or FORGOTTEN something and then be forced to make an executive decission... do I just leave it like this ? or do I tear it apart and start over ???

Anyway... I made the bulkhead today and cleaned up a bit around the shop. I also got set up to cut the final cabin beam. It's all layed out and ready to start cutting. It was during this layout that I realized how tired I really was. When I get tired I start to make stupid mistakes so, it was time to quit. I'll cut out the beam tomorrow and fit it in on the forward side of the bulkhead. The bulkhead will actually be attached to this beam. This will give the cabin some well deserved additional support... Later................

No comments: