Friday, February 23, 2007

Shop Notes:

O.K.... Yesterday, after I got my cabin's cross beam (batten) set in it's jig, I mixed up some C.P.E.S. For those of you who don't know what this is, C.P.E.S. stands for Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer. C.P.E.S. is actually a two part (50/50) epoxy in a thin liquid form (until it sets up). In it's liquid form, it is about the consistancy of deisel and is used to coat wood (especially the end grain). When it sets up (dries), it seals the wood from future exposure to moisture. I get my C.P.E.S. from a company called "The Rot Dr." You'll find them at...http://www.rotdoctor.com/
Anyway, I mixed up a batch and began to coat parts. I've been making parts & pieces to complete the floor, the fuel cell's incloser, the cabin beams and so on for a couple of months now and finally some nice weather has arrived so that I can open up the shop and coat them. The C.P.E.S. is some really strong stuff... and highly flamable too. The first time I used this stuff I didn't wear a resperator. My neighbors (who like to lounge in their back yard all of the time) couldn't stand the smell from 150 feet away. Needless to say, I wear a resperator from now on.

That was last night. Today, I went ahead and decided to strip the rest of the cabin's inside walls as well as the inside of the cabin face. I was hoping not to (trying to be lazy I guess) but, after working with the cabin beams it was obvious that the cabin's side panels were quite loose. They wiggled side to side quite a bit. So, I made another exectutive decision... I would have to locate all of the screws that fasten these sides to the side deck, dig out the plugs (made of epoxy) and remove these screws one at a time and roll them in epoxy before re-inserting them and sinking them tight. There are 13 screws on each side.

Time to clean the shop and call it a night...
I like to sweep the floor every few days and make sure that my tools (not being used) are put away. There shouldn't be any more stripping, unless I've missed something.
See ya............................ :)

No comments: